The President’s Office has responded to all pending requests submitted under the Right to Information (RTI) Act, according to Chief Government Spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef.
Speaking during the “Presser with the Spox” programme, Shareef said all RTI requests directed to the President’s Office had been addressed as of Friday, with the exception of requests involving information protected under existing laws.
He explained that certain categories of information, including matters related to personal privacy and national security, cannot legally be disclosed even if requested through the RTI framework.
“As of yesterday, we have cleared all of them,” Shareef said, noting that each request had been reviewed to determine whether the requested information could be shared under the law.
The spokesperson added that the government is now working to improve transparency standards across other state institutions as well, encouraging agencies to both respond to RTI requests and proactively publish information for public access.
According to Shareef, efforts are also underway to make information available on government websites in a more accessible and transparent manner.
He further stated that the Office of the Information Commissioner is monitoring how institutions implement transparency measures and comply with disclosure obligations under the RTI Act.
President Mohamed Muizzu had earlier pledged during a press conference held on May 11 that all RTI requests submitted to the President’s Office would receive responses.
Shareef said the administration’s broader goal is to establish a governance system where information can be shared openly across a wide range of areas, while maintaining legal protections surrounding confidential matters.